Afghan Biscuit Cake Donuts
Afghan biscuits are one of my absolute favourite childhood treats, and it just so happens that donuts are one of my adult favourites; so why not bring the two together is delicious matrimony! These aren't your normal donut, but what is called a 'cake donut', light and fluffy with a beautiful texture. You will need a donut tray to make this recipe, but if you don't have one, double this recipe and make cupcakes! Just as cute and delicious. Enjoy!
Ingredients (makes 8-9 donuts)
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1/4 cup + 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup greek yoghurt
- 3 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp milk
- 1/2 cup cornflakes, lightly crushed
- 9 walnuts
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. In a bowl, stir together the flour, 1/4 cup cocoa powder and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the egg, sugar, milk, greek yoghurt and butter, then whisk into the dry ingredients until smooth.
- Grease a cake donut tray, then spoon or pipe the batter into the mould until the mould is 1/2 way full in depth. Place into the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when tested. Leave to cool then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- To make the icing, stir together the icing sugar and remaining cocoa powder. Gradually add the milk while stirring until the icing reaches a thick but glaze like consistency. Spoon or pipe the icing onto the donuts then sprinkle cornflakes over the top. Place a walnut on top, then place in the fridge to set for 10-15 minutes. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.