Chocolate Chunk Gingerbread Loaf
It's the most wonderful time of the year, and what better time to get into the Christmas spirit than now with some delicioussssss baking! Gingerbread is a classic festive flavour, and this gingerbread loaf encompasses all things spiced, with chunks of milk chocolate and a generous icing sugar drizzle. The perfect treat for any time in the holidays, and even better served alongside a hot cup of tea!
- 175g butter, softened
- 3/4 cup soft brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup golden syrup
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 100g chocolate chunks
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- Glace ginger and chocolate, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius fan bake. In a bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light in colour.
- Beat in the eggs, followed by the golden syrup. In a seperate bowl, sift together the spices and flour. Next carefully stir half of the flour mixture into the butter mixture, followed by half of the milk. Repeat with the remaining halves, then fold through the chocolate chunks.
- Pour the batter into a greased and lined loaf tray, then place into the oven for 45-60 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean when tested. Set aside to cool.
- To make the drizzle, simply stir the icing sugar with a little water to create a drizzle consistency. Remove the cake from the tin, then drizzle over the icing sugar mixture and garnish with chocolate and glace ginger.
- Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.